A story of triumph followed by a tale of horror… just a normal day in my life!

Pour voir au clic français ici.

Today my head was feeling better (more about that later) and it was time to get back on my bike!

After advice off the parents I decided to ride to Clitheroe and to go along the roads as I could do with the practise dealing with cars. Seriously why do they have to get so close, and why do they have to pull out on you… trust me its harder for me to get going again, than you in you powerful car! Then when you DO stop to let them through a tight spot why don’t they thank you?!? If I was a car you would thank me… sorry mini rant over, though I am sure other cyclist have these same problem with cars as me!

I was so proud of myself, despite the crazy heat wave we are having here in England at the moment today I conquered two of my nemesis’! I made it up the hill to my grandmothers which has bested me everyday since I have had the bike AND I made it up the hill that goes on forever on Church Street in Great Harwood, which again has done its utmost best to defeat me, and today is the first day I did not let it! In fact every hill and incline I approached today I conquered. I did not get off my bike once til I reached Clitheroe, which from my house is 10.2 miles away! Though I didn’t get off I did stop once or twice on the flat bits to drink water. Like I said it was a crazily hot day, I even had to wear sun tan lotion… in October. So yeah lots of stopping to make sure I was keeping hydrated.

Once in Clitheroe I had a nice ice-lolly and nosy at some of the shops, before cycling home.

I am afraid however, unlike my beloved Disney princess stories, this one does not have a happy ending! In fact it practically turns into a horror story now…

Cycling back was going well, I admit I was getting a little too warm but nothing to worry about, I am just thankful April should be cooler when we do this. I had made it the first four miles back to Whalley when the first stumble on my otherwise pleasant day happened. I was at a roundabout waiting patiently for the people on the right, as you do, when it was clear I set off across the round about only to come tumbling off as a bike cut me up. Yes you did just read that right it was a BIKE! One of my own kind. I expect a certain amount from cars, but bikes!!! This idiot on his bike overtook me as I was setting off and cut me off to take the first exit, sending me to the pavement… and he didn’t even stop to check I was ok! You can imagine just how angered I was, but I dusted myself off and got back on, after all I guess its like riding a horse, you have to come off a certain amount of times.

Now looking back I maybe should have seen this as a bad omen and given up for the day and caught the bus home, but where would my sense of adventure be if I did that…

Enter disaster number two. If you though the first was bad, this second tale manages to break not just me but the bike as well. Ok so I am being a tad over dramatic, it wasn’t quite that bad.

On leaving Whalley and heading back to the main road that leads to Great Harwood, I hit a bump. I have to admit I hadn’t seen the bump as I was concentrating on the cars, but dear lord did I feel it as so did my bike! My poor little less than a week old bike made a horrible noise and the seat completely changed position, so it now sat like this:

Yeap, its lower and completely pointing in the wrong direction! My brakes where suddenly catching and making a horrid noise and my gears just didn’t seem 100% right… it really was a bad bump!

I did say above it broke me too. This bump caused a horrible stabbing pain in my lower abdomen . I thought nothing of this pain at that time, that was until I had to push my bike home the remaining 6 miles. I had to push it as I can’t ride it safely at the moment. (Don’t worry I am sure my bike will have a happy ending as I am going to take it to Blackburn cycle & scooter center on Tuesday to get the experts there to look at it, i will be back on it in no time!)

As for me and my pain, the walk home actually made it worse and worse, until by the time I got home I was practically in tears and hunched over like a little lady while trying to push my bike. As soon as I got in I led very very still on the bed til it passed, I am feeling better now, though it still hurts a little when I move. If I am still having problems on monday I will go see my doctor, so don’t worry mummy and daddy who are currently reading this there is no need to panic.

While we are on about my health I said I would get tell you more about my headaches. I have struggled with my head for a while now, I have seen specialists and am on different tablets and things to help control the problem. Normally I can get by day-to-dayl with only a small amount of pain but some days, like yesterday, the pain stops me from doing anything and everything. I am finding that being on the bike is causing me a few head problems, once I have finished a ride, I find my head is pounding for a few hours. I am not sure if it is a case of my helmet being too tight (I do after all have a crazy large Henderson head), or I am not drinking enough water while I am riding (maybe it is too hot) or maybe its just that I am not used to exercise. Either way I hope to get this sorted before we set off in April and I can get the pain down to a manageable level.

So now that I have bored you all with my health history I will finally shut up! Please please make all the pain and effort I am going through worth it by supporting us at www.virginmoneygiving.com/r2rchallenge and help to raise money for the NSPCC. Thank you.

Nikki xx


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s